If you're a recreational swimmer, you know that having a good pair of goggles is essential. Not only do they keep the chlorine out of your eyes, but they also help you see where you're going. With so many different types and styles of goggles on the market, though, it can be tough to know which ones are right for you. Here's a quick buyer's guide to help you choose the best goggles for swimming.
What to Look for When Buying Goggles
When you're shopping for goggles, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind.
First, think about what type of swimming you'll be doing most often. If you're a competitive swimmer who spends hours in the pool every week, you'll need a different type of goggle than someone who only swims for recreation a few times per month.
Second, consider your budget. Goggles can range in price from $10 to $100 or more, so it's important to find something that fits your needs and your wallet.
Finally, think about what type of fit you prefer. Some people prefer goggles that sit tight against their face, while others prefer a looser fit.
There's no right or wrong answer here—it's simply a matter of personal preference.
Types of Goggles
Now that you know what to look for when buying goggles, let's take a closer look at some of the different types that are available.
- Traditional Goggles: Traditional swimming goggles are designed to fit snugly against your face and provide a wide field of vision. They're ideal for recreational swimmers who don't need anything too fancy or expensive.
- Mirrored Goggles: Mirrored swimming goggles have a reflective coating on the lens that helps reduce glare and protect your eyes from the sun's harmful UV rays. They're perfect for outdoor swimmers who want to be able to see clearly in bright conditions.
- Prescription Goggles: Prescription swimming goggles are designed for people who wear glasses or contact lenses. They allow you to see clearly underwater without having to worry about losing your glasses or contacts in the pool.
- Swim Caps with Goggles: Swim caps with goggles are ideal for competitive swimmers who want to streamline their race day gear. Swim caps have a sleek design. Some swimmers will wear their goggles on top of their swim caps and others (like competitive swimmers) will wear their goggles under their swim cap for a sleeker, more aerodynamic fit.
- Children's Goggles: Children's swimming goggles are designed specifically for smaller faces. They usually have an adjustable strap that can be tightened or loosened as needed to ensure a comfortable, secure fit.
No matter what type of swimming you do, there's a pair of goggles out there that's perfect for you. Just remember to consider what type of swimming you'll be doing most often, your budget, and your preferred fit when making your decision.
With so many different types of goggles on the market, finding the perfect pair can be difficult. We've done some of the research for you, choose one of our reviews below to help you.
Family Fav's: Our Top Picks for the 7 Best Swimming Goggles with Nose Cover
Guide to the Best Swim Goggles for Kids: 2023 Top 10 List
3 Speedo Swim Goggles: Perfect for Competitive and Recreational Swimmers
15 Creative Ways to Use a GPS Tracker
Your FavReviews Team
Why Trust Us?
We hope you find your next favorite thing from FavReviews! We are a family friendly product review site.
Four Generation Family: As a four generation family, the breadth of products we consume and review as brand ambassadors is vast. But we can tell you, in general, in we love the outdoors, sports, staying active, living healthy and celebrating the changing seasons.
Trending Products: We also love finding new trending products and we are happy to pass along our research of new trending products to you. Follow us so you don't miss out on a thing! We send out cool emails with our latest reviews, and we will never sell or misuse your information.
Opinions Based on Use, Research and Reviews: Each product we write about is independently selected by our editors. All opinions in this article are our own, based on our own use of the product(s), or hours of research and reading reviews. We will never recommend something we wouldn't use ourselves in our own family.
Compensation: Yes, FavReviews may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to buy something (that's how we stay in business). But, the product never costs you more, in fact in some cases, we hope we might help save you money based on our recommendations.
Reviews have been edited for length and clarity. Enjoy finding your next favorite thing! Happy Shopping! Your FavReviews Team